What is a Skin Board Packaging
Skin Board Packaging is a common packaging method, similar to blister packaging, which combines a printed paperboard backing with a clear plastic overlay. Where blisters make use of pre-formed plastic to position and display products, skin board packaging uses a heat-activated film that conforms to the product’s shape.
The plastic film (LDPE, PVC, ionomer, etc.) is softened by heat and draped over the product on the card. A vacuum is then used, to draw the film tight around the product and help it to bond to the heat-seal coating on the paperboard.
Why Skin Board Packaging?
Skin Board packaging is a versatile and cost-effective way to package irregularly-shaped items (such as saw blades, automotive parts, etc.). Because the film adapts to the shape of the product, no specialized molding or setup are generally required. This makes changing over from packaging one product to another a breeze – and removes the need for an inventory of custom blisters for each product.
What Sizes, Styles and Options Are Available?
Skin Board Packaging is available in a variety of sizes, colors and material options. The most common include:
- 18 x 24 inch
- 24 x 36 inch
- 30 x 36 inch
Board Materials: High quality paperboard with white front & back for a quality appearance.
- 24pt. SBS (Solid Bleach Sulfate)
- 33pt. and 43pt W2S (recycled content in the middle layer)
Depending on your product and application, we can help you to find the Skin Board Packaging that fits your need(s). Contact us today.
For more than 30 years we have worked to provide superior packaging and supply chain solutions for our customers, so that they (and you) can focus less on supply chain, and more on growing your business.
24 pt. Solid Bleach Sulfate (SBS)
- The process requires specialized paperboard, inks and coating, skin film, and equipment to seal and die-cut the master sheet.
- Skin board provides high strength, low curl and excellent film adhesion. The special paperboard has a porous (non-clay coated) surface. The skin film enhances the graphic appearance with a slight gloss.
33pt. and 43 pt. W2S (Recycled Content in the Middle Layer)
W2S Features Recycled Content in the Middle Layer
- Recycled Content in the Middle Layer.
- The heated film is draped over the master sheet capturing and contouring around the product. It’s like the stretch wrap used in the kitchen.
- The master sheet is then cut to individual cards containing your product. Keyslots, round corners and internal die cuts may be added during the cutting process.
Questions on Skin Packaging?
Ready to Start a Project?